Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

(Goodness) Momma Said There'd Be Days Like This... But the Fruit of the Spirit is.. Goodness



Oh Goodness… Now What?!
  

“There is no odor so bad as that which arises from goodness tainted.”
~ Henry David Thoreau

As the Holy Spirit works in our lives, our character transforms. Where we once had selfish and rebellious tendencies, we now have goodness and kindness. Goodness reflects the character of God, and goodness is one fruit of the spirit that relates directly to morality. Now try to explain this to a four, five and six year old.

I had the Roto-Rooter man on speed dial. He knew me by name. He knew my children by name. Many the times he came over to dislodge things from the toilet downstairs. What is it with kids and flushing things?  Mr. Weeble fit so perfectly that it created a vacuum that only Mr. Roto-Rooter could dislodge.

One winter day I had the full-blown flu. I was so sick that my hair hurt. I did the maintenance type of care for the kids that day. Everyone was dressed, had meals and snacks at the proper times and in between there were many videos that day.  While videos were playing, I would lay down on the couch and attempt to nap with one eye open. This actually did work. I was really looking forward to Himself coming home from work to take over for me. I had a mental countdown going on all day.

Himself called me in the late afternoon from the office. He said that Mr. Kilt had tickets for
the city’s hockey team season opener and that he really wanted to go. I reminded Himself how sick I was.  He told me he would only be gone a few hours. I was too tired to emote so I said the next best thing, “do what you think is right.” He obviously did not know this was more of a challenge than a permission. He went to the season opener.

After baths for the 3 amigos, I let them watch Gospel Bill on the TV downstairs in the playroom while eating their bedtime snacks. I layed down on the couch upstairs right by the stairway. In my fevered state I heard giggling and water slurping and a flushing noise. I was having the most incredibly confusing dream. I heard this for awhile and then I came to myself. THE KIDS!!!!

I jumped up from the couch, and fell flat on the floor from the blood rush. I finally gained use of my legs and headed downstairs. (We lived in a split level.) As I entered the basement I saw the kids dash from the laundry room/bathroom and into the playroom. I turned the corner to the laundry room; OH MY GOODNESS!!!!
 
Water was pouring out of the toilet. I looked into the commode. I looked at my empty laundry basket. I put two and two together. Earlier that day, I had washed white clothes which included socks. I had folded all of the clothing and put them into the correct bins, but I had just tossed all of the socks into the laundry basket to sort tomorrow.

My sweet cherubs had flushed EVERY single sock down the commode and it was now plugged up. I stuck my hand into the abyss and started yanking wet socks out. It finally dawned on me to shut off the water. When I did as much as I could, I called Mr.
Roto-Rooter. He came right over and snaked out as much as he could. The commode worked again! Hurray!

The cherubs had put themselves to bed while I was paying Mr. Roto-Rooter. I went in and prayed with each child. They all repented and promised to do better tomorrow.  At Christmas as family asked what to get the kids, I told them, “Socks and please don’t ask why!”

Fast forward 5 months. I am driving with the kids down the street. There are city workers seven houses down tearing up the middle of the street. There was a water main break. Next to the hole that was dug was a pile of wet goopy grey…. Socks! I told the kids to look down and stay low and not to say a word!  I was thankful that I did not put names or initials in the socks!



Psalm 25:7
Common English Bible (CEB)
"But don’t remember the sins of my youth or my wrongdoing.
Remember me only according to your faithful love
For the sake of your goodness, Lord."


Prayer Time
Thank you Lord for teaching me as well as my children, how to build our character and not just be one.




Copyright © 2015 Christine Osberghaus



No comments:

Post a Comment