Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2015

(Peace) Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This… But the Fruit of the Spirit is .. Peace

Ms. Chatty’s first Tuesday at home.

"People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one."
~ Leo J. Burke
My mom had been coming over every morning when Himself left for work around 5 am to help me with the 3 kids for a week. She gave me extra time to sleep in the morning and to take a shower. New mothers will understand that last statement. Ms. Chatty had her days and nights mixed up. It had not been a pleasant week. One day I told mom that she could sleep in and I would take care of my brood until she arrived. Words I did not know I would live to regret so soon.


I awakened at 5:15 am to Mr. Rational calling for me. I went into his room and he was not in his crib. I quickly searched all over the duplex. I could not find him. I could still hear him. I slowly followed his easy, non-panicked calls of my name, ‘Mommy.’ The trail led back to his room. He had hung from the back of his crib and dropped himself into his football shaped toy box. He had landed buttocks first and was in a pike position. I rescued him from his toy box and he was very thankful and then bounced away to the living room without a care in the world. After about 5 minutes my heart rate returned to normal. We were both now too awake to go back to bed.

At 7 am, Ms. Bunny skipped into the living room. She helped me make breakfast by putting out the bowls and spoons and napkins. The three of us dined on some variation of apple flavored circles and yogurt. Such a happy lot we three were. At 8 am Ms. Chatty wanted up, and wanted up NOW! I went to her and nursed her and then got her ready for a bath.

I had Ms. Chatty in the baby rocker-roo carrier on the floor.  Ms. Bunny was in the kitchen assisting me by telling me how to put the water into the yellow baby bathtub and the correct temperature that the water should be, and how high to fill it.  Ms. Bunny had the definite markings of the gift of an administrator at a very early age. She loved directing people. And I must say, most of the time she really did have good ideas. Today however, I was functioning on little sleep.

Mr. Rational was on the floor entertaining Ms. Chatty by rocking her in the carrier. He gave her one powerful rock that set the carrier on end with her dangling (not in danger at any time) with the seat belts holding her in tightly. As I saw this I inadvertently tipped the baby bathtub and doused all three children and the kitchen floor with every drop of the bathwater. I quickly freed Ms. Chatty who was dripping wet, grabbed up Mr. Rational, who was clearly in shock, with the other arm and Ms. Bunny proceeded to pretend to swim on the kitchen floor. 


At that very moment my mother walked in. She quickly surveyed the situation and said, “Wow, Ms. Chatty’s hair really is curly when wet!” She took the baby from my clutches and wrapped her in a fluffy towel, gave Mr. Rational one towel of his own and told Ms. Bunny how proud she was of her swim strokes. I literally broke down in tears. I had not slept in 24+ hours. She shooed me to my room to sleep and took care of my babies. I awoke 5 hours later feeling like a new person.

I thanked my mom once again and she told me that Ms. Chatty probably thinks that is just what we do on Tuesday mornings at our house.

 

Romans 14:17-19

Common English Bible (CEB)
17 God’s kingdom isn’t about eating food and drinking but about righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 Whoever serves Christ this way pleases God and gets human approval. 19 So let’s strive for the things that bring peace and the things that build each other up.












Prayer Time
Peace, unto this house, I pray                              Hold us together, gentle Lord,
Keep terror and despair away;                             Who sit about this humble board;
Shield it from the evil and let sin                           May we be spared the cruel fate
Never find lodging room within.                            Of those whom hatreds separate;

May never in these walls be heard                       Here let love bind us fast, that we
The hateful or accusing word.                              May know the joys of unity
Grant that its warm and mellow light                    Lord, this humble house we’d keep
May be to all a beacon bright,                              Sweet with play and calm with sleep.

A flaming symbol that shall stir                             Help us so that we may give
The beating pulse of him or her                            Beauty to the lives we live.
Who finds this door and seems to say,                 Let Thy love and let Thy grace
“Here end the trials of the day.”                            Shine upon our dwelling place.

From Collected Verse of Edgar Guest

NY Buccaneer Books, 1976, pg. 569




Copyright © 2015 Christine Osberghaus

No comments:

Post a Comment