Pages

Friday, May 8, 2015

Blessed Are Those Who Mourn - The BeAttitudes



Happy are the sad! 
Wait… what?

The Greek word for mourn is Pentheo, and it is the strongest word that Jesus could have used for deep emotional grief, sorrow and mourning. I am willing to bet that Jesus’ message must have been a surprise to all of those listening within earshot, "Happy are those who are utterly consumed with grief for they shall be comforted." "Happy are the sad!"


Happy Are The Sad?  Wait. What? What did He just say?



I believe that 2 Corinthians 7:10 is the key to understanding this BeAttitude:



10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.


This tells me that the sorrow that confers to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, and then that leads to salvation; but the sorrow of the world produces death.


There is a sorrow that is of this world and then there is a godly sorrow. Throughout our life there will be or have been times that we mourn (agonize, wail, fret, sob, weep) over adverse events in our life unless we are truly hard-hearted. Believe it or not, there are actually some people who are like that. But Not this type of Mourning. We can mourn, grieve or have sorrow over a wide variety of negative circumstances.



Pentheo implies much more. It is a verb which is a present active participle (whoa, how did I remember that?). This implies repeated action or an ongoing condition. So what Jesus is saying is that the ones who are regularly and steadily mourning over sin with repentance and no regret are those who will be comforted (encouraged).  This is an ongoing pattern of life. On another note, He is speaking to His disciples. Jesus is characterizing His true disciples. This is the heart of the beatitude. Jesus' true disciples never stop grieving over sin in this old world.  

While we are visiting this planet, we need to see ourselves as we really are - forgiven sinners who should be seeking to be holy. Those that mourn are Happy. They fully know the mercy of God in Christ Jesus. They continually seek the Holy Spirit to root out any remaining destructiveness. Heaven is the Joy of our Lord. A proverbial mountain of Joy. These mourners will be comforted by their God.


I know this next story will raise eyebrows and side-eyes. Please hear my heart. This is what God told Himself and I personally – for OUR Family. We don’t judge you, please return the favor.  

Our family of 5 did not celebrate Halloween. And likewise, we did not bash anyone who did. I could not celebrate this day. Before Jesus I was into every occult thing that you could probably come up with. Once I repented from my past life, accepted Jesus, was baptized in the Holy Spirit and delivered from OH so much junk… I did not tempt to set my foot even close to the fire. I knew the counterfeit that the world had, and now I knew the Truth. We did not even do the Hallelujah Parties. (my mom and dad did not even agree with this, but respected our decisions) I can now hear the 'epiphanies' going off in peoples minds as to why I am like I am now. (giggles.. It's okay.)
To us there was no alternative to a pagan ritualistic holiday. (Please hear my heart, I remember where I came from B.C. [before Christ]) We instead had instituted Family Night! We would go out to eat early together or order in pizza, then make popcorn and snuggle in with movies for the evening. (And still do to this day for any in town should they choose to come by.. yes, that means you who is reading this now)

We would also have family prayer time. My little cherubs starting praying for the ‘Halloween People’ to be safe while out and about tonight and to come to know Jesus in a personal way. They prayed this faithfully really almost every night. It will be amazing when they enter Heaven one day and there are lines of people waiting there to greet and thank them for taking the time to pray.

This is what this BeAttitude is to me. My cherubs cried and prayed and interceded for the darkness in this world to be lifted and taken away from people. God heard their cries and comforted them with His Joy.



Prayer Time

Lord, please help me to have a heart for the world. I want to intercede for the lost, the wandering, and the ones who have fallen between the cracks of life. Break my heart for what breaks yours. Encourage me to do what’s right, even when it is the hard choice. Thank you for your forgiveness, your mercy and your Joy… and your sweet, sweet comfort.

Copyright © 2015 Christine Osberghaus

No comments:

Post a Comment